Ok, on with the soldiers. My inspiration came from a cookbook purchase 'Quinoa Revolution'. Plus, I recently discovered ground turkey- my first attempt was this stew from Food Network Mag.
Prep time: 10 mins (plus 15 mins to sit, optional)
Cook time: 12-15 mins
Yield: 15-17 soldiers
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tsp tamari sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic chili sauce (depending how hot you like it, this amount makes it medium hot)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar or lime juice
- 1lb ground turkey
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- Combine in a bowl first 8 ingredients. Optional: Let sit for 15 minutes for the flavours to incorporate.
- Add ground turkey and quinoa.
- Mix fairly well but not overly.
- Form into log shapes with slightly moist hands.
- Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. They're not the prettiest things at this point but try not to judge them.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes.
Sprinkle with cayenne pepper. Serve with garlic chili sauce, plum sauce or soya sauce. Versatile little guys: dipping, snacking, put on a big salad. They taste good cold as well.
Grey out there again...but I got my pink hat (and coat!) on and and headed out to the greenbelt (although it's more of a brownbelt at the moment).
Enjoy your day!