Oh, geez. Keep me away from online shopping. I was looking for cocoa butter and couldn't find any locally. So, do I order a small amount to try it out? No, I order 5lbs / $75 worth! Better to have more in case I run out I think. Saves me from paying shipping charges again in the near future I tell myself. Logical, yes. But now I have a large bag of hard, greasy, lumps that I'm sure will last me until the end of time. Thankfully, it's the most wonderful smelling lumps and lasts up to 5 years. I ordered from Real Raw Food for the first time. I also bought raw cocoa powder and cashew pieces. The quality was excellent and it arrived fast.
This is what I was trying to do, following these directions from Oh she glows. If you are interested in trying my "mistake turned meant-to-do-that" here is what I did.
crispy chewy dark chocolate caramel bites
Yields: 15+ pieces depending on how you break it up
- 120 grams organic raw cocoa butter
- 1/2 cup organic coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup raw cocoa powder
- pinch of pink salt
- Put everything in a small saucepan.
- Heat on very low heat.
- Stir frequently, cleaning sides of pan with a silicone spatula until melted. Takes about 15 minutes.
- The coconut sugar doesn't melt fully (even after I tried mixing on low for another 15 minutes). It sits on the bottom and doesn't change except becoming a little less gritty.
- Cool in the fridge to give the mixture a little more body to the point where you can stir it and the sugar doesn't sink right away to the bottom.
- After cooling about 10-15 minutes, it should still be liquid but not runny. Pour on a silpat lined baking sheet (or use parchment paper) and freeze until hard.
- When hard, break in pieces and store in freezer.
- This chocolate (like all raw chocolate in my experience) melts as a lower temperature so best to store in the freezer or fridge.
*Many uses for cocoa butter besides eating. Makes a great moisturizer. I just want to rub it all over and smell chocolaty. I designated a nice sized lump as moisturizer. It's very firm and works best when warmed. A good idea is to drop a small piece in the bath.
Things are still on track for the cleanse starting this Friday. See the bottom of the last post for details. I hope you'll join me!